Saturday 23 March 2019

Symposium on MLETR and blockchains

I gave a paper in a symposium on the UNCITRAL MLETR (Model Law on Electronic Transferable Records) and blockchains (Here is link to the program) on 16 March 2019 at the Waseda University in Tokyo.
The proceedings were conducted in Japanese except the presentation by Luca Castellani, the legal officer of the UNCITRAL Secretariat who was responsible for this Model Law. So my powerpoint slides and handout (below) are also in Japanese.
I have underscored the potential of public blockchains for disrupting the society and considered whether they meet the requirements of the MLETR. Throughout the analysis, I have compared public blochains with permissioned blockchains and central registries. Each of the requirements of the MLETR poses an analytical challenge with respect to public blockchains.
I will try to write an English version of the paper once I have cleared a backlog of work on my desk.


No comments:

Post a Comment